Artist-Programmer, Visual Poet, Essayist, Senior Technical Writer
Selected Online Works (see vispo.com menu
for complete list)
Selected Interviews and Articles/Reviews About the Work
- Modus Operandi
- Mostly I publish on my site vispo.com and other sites. I also publish essays in
books and print periodicals. Occassionally I show in galleries
and festivals; Arteroids was shown in Los Angeles at Machine
Gallery, Hong Kong at the Microwave
festival, and Leipzig at D21. ABC
Architecture appeared on the cover of Taiwan's Chung Wai
- Recent Print Publications
- Senior Canada Council grant to pursue digital storytelling, 2010.
- Artist in Residence contract from the Canada Council for Sept-Feb
(2002-2003) in Toronto at the Centre for Creative Communications.
- Canada Council jury member, Electronic Writing, August 2002.
- Senior Canada Council grant to pursue interactive audio, July
- Life-time membership at CFUV-FM, Victoria BC Canada.
- New American Radio & Performing Arts for the Turbulence site
- Beyond Text, Canterbury, England, 2009
- dbCinema, The Centre for Digital Media, Vancouver, 2009
- Jump-Cuts, Victoria B.C, 2007
Conference, Paris, 2007
with Geof Huth, Nico Vassilakis, and Crag Hill, 2007
- Canadian Game
Studies Association conference, Toronto, 2006
- Keynote at Technological
Aesthetics, São Paulo, Brazil, 2006
- U of Rio de Janeiro, 2006
- Victoria Independent Film Festival, July 2005
- trAce (Britain),
Digital Arts Festival, Sept 2003
- The Rochester Institute
of Technology, January 2003.
for New Media Studies in Minneapolis, July 2002.
- Keynote at E-Poetry
2001 conference in Buffalo.
New Media Institute, August 2001.
- Performer in Ottawa for launch of ITAC
art section, December 2001.
- Courses in which the work is taught
or on recommended reading list
- American Postmodern, Mark Sample, George Mason U
- Art & Lit in the Digital Domain, Bill Seaman, Katherine Hayles, Duke U
- Art & Technology,
Stephen Wilson, Alex Killough, San Francisco State U
Literature, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
Literature, Joseph Pivato, Athabasca U (Canada)
as an Expressive
Medium, Michael Mateas, Ali Mazalek, Georgia Tech
- Critical Reading and Writing, Jonathan Parsons, Memorial U, Newfoundland, Canada
- Cyberlit, Barclay Barrios, Rutgers
- Design & Composition for Interactive Installations, D Donck, M Wierckx, Utrecht
Aesthetics, Roberto Simanowski, Brown U
Art, Joan Campās Montaner, U of Catalonia (Spain)
Shing Lee, National Chung Hsing U (Taiwan)
Literature, John Zuern, U of Hawaii
- Digital Literature, Allison Muri, U. of Saskatchewan
Literacy, Tom Peele, Boise State U
Media, Amy Alexander, U of California, San Diego
Poetics, Loss Glazier, SUNY, Buffalo
- Digital Poetry, Chris Funkhouser, NJIT
Poetry, Andrew Roberts, U of Dundee (Scotland)
Rhetoric, Dānielle Nicole Devoss, Michigan State U
- Electronic Literature, Lance Olsen, U of Utah
Literature, Rita Raley, U of California, S.B.
- Electronic Literature, J Hodge, U of Chicago
- Experimental Writing, Nick Montfort, MIT
in Communication Design, Keith Robertson, RMIT
in Poetry, Charles Bernstein, SUNY
- History and Future of the Book, Allison Muri, U of Saskatchewan
Fiction, Jeff Parker, Eastern Michigan U
Fiction and Digital Poetries, Rita Raley, U of California,
Literature, Vicente Forés, U of Valencia (Spain)
Digital Multimedia, Barbara Lattanzi, Smith College
Fiction, Josephine Anstey, U of Buffalo
- Interactive Multimedia, Judd Morrissey, Art Institute of Chicago
Brillenburg Wurth, Utrecht (Netherlands)
- Intermedial Poetry, Chris Cheek, U of Miami
to Multimedia, Denis Sherknies, U of Montréal
- Literature & Hypermedia, Shuen
Shing Lee, National Chung Hsing U (Taiwan)
in a Wired World, Leonardo Flores, U of Maryland
Online, Chris Funkhouser, NJIT
- Media Cultures, Shiralee Saul, RMIT
and Representation, Cynthia Lawson, Parsons School of
- Media Theory for the 21st Century, Katherine Hayles, UCLA
& Contemporary Poetry, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
Tom Lawrence, U of Dublin City (Ireland)
- Narrative Temporality in 20th C. Lit. & Theory, B Richardson, J Wellman, U of Maryland
Media, Seth Keen, RMIT (Australia)
- New Media Poetics, Dee Morris, U of Iowa
Media Theory, Ed Lamoureux, Bradley U
Narrative, Carla Gannis, Pratt Institute
and its Malcontents, Charles Bernstein, SUNY
- Software Art, Hector Rodriguez/Bryan Chung, City U of Hong Kong
- Studies in Literature, Leonardo Flores, U of Puerto Rico
Conditions, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
Media, Dean Taciuch, George Mason U
Anthropology of Cyberspace, Brian Schwimmer, U of Manitoba
Internet and Interactive Media, Megan Sapnar, Loyola College
Sound of Poetry, the Poetry of Sound, Charles Bernstein,
U of Pennsylvania
- The Word Made Digital, Nick Montfort, MIT
Century Poetry, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
Rhetoric, Felicia C Dziadek, Texas A&M
and Image, Matthew Kirschenbaum, U of Maryland
- 2003-2005: Helped teach Digital Media at U of Victoria.
- 2002: Taught Director at The
Centre for Creative Communications in Toronto.
- 1990-92: Studied Computer Science and Mathematics at the U of Victoria.
- 1985: Trained to teach at Montessori schools.
- 1984: B.A. in English and Mathematics, U of Victoria.
Delphi, Visual Basic, Flash, Authorware, COBOL, 68000 Assembler,
- Machines: PC, Macs, Main-frames, UNIX work stations.
- Assorted Software: Director, Sound Forge, Acid,
Delphi, VB, J++, PhotoShop, CorelDraw/Paint, Visio, DreamWeaver,
Flash, Authorware, PageMaker, Word.
- April 2000 - Present: Artist-Programmer
I wrote Windows for Shockwave, sell
it online, and write grants to do art.
- October 2003 - Dec 2005: Artist-Programmer
Contract at the U of Victoria in Visual Arts Dept as Programmer.
- Jan 2000 - July 2000: Solutions Architect, Network Commerce,
Worked with clients to create specs for design of Web sites; with
Dev to ensure feasibility; with Biz Dev concerning pricing information;
with Design on site look. Projects ranged from $30,000 to $2,000,000
- Mar 97 - Jan 2000: Lead Technical Writer, Network Commerce,
- Docs on NT/SQL/ASP and UNIX/Oracle/Perl ecommerce technology.
- Wrote a white paper describing our technology to potential
- Help files, business proposals, code specs, templates, and
- Before 1997
- Freelanced as a Programmer and Technical Writer in Victoria
- Six-year literary radio show called FINE LINES and,
later, ?FRAME? at CFUV-FM heard each week on 15 stations.
- Wrote grant proposals for CFUV-FM (campus/community station).
- Tutored University and High school Math and English.
- Starved. Wrote. Starved. Wrote. Wrote. Ate.