Poet-Programmer, Artist, Essayist, Teacher, Technical Writer
Selected Online Works
Many of the below works require the Shockwave plugin and, consequently, cannot be viewed in Chrome, which does not support Shockwave, Unity, and several other plugins. Please install the Shockwave plugin while running a browser other than Chrome.
- Aleph Null 3.0 (2017, HTML5): Graphic synthesizer and instrument of colour music.
- Aleph Null 2.0 (2016, HTML5): Interactive instrument of colour music.
- Globebop (2016, HTML5): Google Maps, Street View and Wikipedia app
- Langrid (2014, HTML5): Interactive poem. Click "Wread" for controls.
- Teleporter (2014, HTML5): Google Maps and Street View app
- dbCinema (2005-2011, Shockwave): langu(im)age processor, graphic synthesizer
- The Club (2011, HTML5): my fave politicians, bizmen, and psychopaths incinemated
- Jig-Sound (2006, Shockwave): interactive audio
- F8MW9 (2008, Shockwave): interactive sound+visual poetry
- A Pen (2007, Shockwave): a software pen that draws visual poems
- First Screening by bpNichol (2007, HTML): recovering lost digital poetry
- War Pigs (2004, Shockwave): interactive audio game
- On Lionel Kearns (2004, Shockwave): A binary meditation on the work of a fine pioneer.
- Arteroids (2004, Shockwave): Online literary shoot-em-up poetry game.
- The idea of Order at Key West Re-ordered (2004, Shockwave): interactive audio
- Paris Connection (2003, Shockwave): Critical media on the work of six Parisians.
- Windows For Shockwave (2002, Shockwave): Behaviors for Macromedia Director
- Enigma n2 (2002, Shockwave): interactive audio
- Nio (2001, Shockwave): Interactive audio
- Oppen Do Down (2000, Shockwave): Interactive audio
- Rude Little Song (1999, Shockwave): interactive audio
- The Pen (1997, Flash): Suite of graphical/text/Flash poems.
- Essays on New Media (1995-present)
Selected Interviews and Articles/Reviews About the Work
- Jamal Russell on the Stir Fry Texts (UC, 2017)
- Ummay Habiba on Seattle Drift and Arteroids (Bangladesh, 2017)
- Leonardo Flores's doctoral thesis on my work (U of Maryland, 2010)
- Manuel Portela on my work (Portugal, 2014)
- Manuel Portela (Portugal, 2011)
- Amanda Michaels on the Stir Fry Texts (USA, 2009)
- Jessica Pressman on the Stir Fry Texts (USA, 2008)
- Steve Ersinghaus on the Stir Fry Texts (USA, 2008)
- Chris Funkhouser. This is the first book-length history of digital poetry. It covers the pre-web period 1959-1995. My work is mentioned several times.
- Kiene Brillenburg Wurth on Nio (Netherlands, 2006)
- Anna Katharina Schaffner on various works (Germany, 2006)
Wardrip-Fruin on Arteroids and others' works (USA, 2005)
Wagner on Nio (Denmark, 2005)
Huth on On Lionel Kearns (USA, 2004)
Wagner (Denmark) on On Lionel Kearns (2004)
Soderman (USA) on Arteroids (2004)
Montfort (USA) on Arteroids (2003)
(Paris) on Paris Connection (2003)
Times on Paris Connection and others' works (2003)
by Roberto Simanowski (Germany) (2002)
Simanowski (Germany) on several pieces (2002)
- Frankfurt newspaper (2002,
search for 'Jim Andrews')
York Times on Nio and others' works (2001)
with Stanza (UK) on soundtoys.net (2001)
with Randy Adams (Canada) about Nio (2001)
- Bill Marsh (USA)
review of Enigma n (1999)
- Modus Operandi
- Mostly I publish on my site vispo.com and other sites. I also publish essays in
books and print periodicals. Occassionally I show in galleries
and festivals; Arteroids was shown in Los Angeles at Machine
Gallery, Hong Kong at the Microwave
festival, and Leipzig at D21. ABC
Architecture appeared on the cover of Taiwan's Chung Wai
- Print Publications
- Senior Canada Council grant to pursue digital storytelling, 2010.
- Artist in Residence contract from the Canada Council for Sept-Feb
(2002-2003) in Toronto at the Centre for Creative Communications.
- Canada Council jury member, Electronic Writing, August 2002.
- Senior Canada Council grant to pursue interactive audio, July
- Life-time membership at CFUV-FM, Victoria BC Canada.
- New American Radio & Performing Arts for the Turbulence site
- Recent Exhibitions
- Surrey Art Gallery, Vancouver Canada: Scenes of Selves, Occasions for Ruses (group show on self-portraiture curated by Jordan Strom).
Two videos, self-portraits made with dbCinema.Sept-Dec 2012.
- Audain Gallery, Vancouver Canada: Where Do We Stop and They Begin? (group show on generative art organized by Arne Eigenfeldt, Ben Bogart, Miles Thorogood and Philippe Pasquier.
- Capilano U, Vancouver, 2018
- Capilano U, Vancouver, 2013
- And Now conference, Paris, 2012. Presented Aleph Null and three scholars (Leo Flores, Giovanna Di Rosario, Mark Marino) delivered papers on Aleph Null.
- SFU, Vancouver, 2012
- MLA exhibition of electronic literature, Seattle, 2012
- Beyond Text, Canterbury, England, 2009
- dbCinema, The Centre for Digital Media, Vancouver, 2009
- Jump-Cuts, Victoria B.C, 2007
- E-Poetry Conference, Paris, 2007
- Seattle, with Geof Huth, Nico Vassilakis, and Crag Hill, 2007
- Canadian Game
Studies Association conference, Toronto, 2006
- Keynote at Technological
Aesthetics, São Paulo, Brazil, 2006
- U of Rio de Janeiro, 2006
- Victoria Independent Film Festival, July 2005
- trAce (Britain), July 2004
- Carleton Digital Arts Festival, Sept 2003
- The Rochester Institute
of Technology, January 2003.
for New Media Studies in Minneapolis, July 2002.
- Keynote at E-Poetry
2001 conference in Buffalo.
New Media Institute, August 2001.
- Performer in Ottawa for launch of ITAC
art section, December 2001.
- Courses in which the work is taught
or on recommended reading list
- American Postmodern, Mark Sample, George Mason U
- Art & Technology,
Stephen Wilson, Alex Killough, SF State U
Literature, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
- Computation as Expressive
Medium, M Mateas, A Mazalek, Georgia Tech
Humanities, Paul Schacht, State U of New York
- Digital Humanities, Amardeep Singh, Lehigh U
Literature, Shuen Shing Lee, National Chung Hsing U (Taiwan)
- Digital Literature, John Zuern, U of Hawaii
- Digital Literature, Jon Parsons
- Digital Literature, Allison Muri, U. of Saskatchewan
- Digital Literature, Jessica Pressman, Yale U
- Digital Multimedia Poetry, Maria Engberg, Malmö U, Sweden
- Digital Poetics, Loss Glazier, SUNY, Buffalo
- Digital Poetry, Chris Funkhouser, NJIT
- Digital Poetry, Lori Emerson, U of Boulder
Rhetoric, Dŕnielle Nicole Devoss, Michigan State U
Literature, Aurelea Mahood, Capilano U
Literature, Kathi Inman Berens, U of Bergen
Literature, Dene Grigar, Electronic Literature Org
Literature, Rita Raley, U of California, S.B.
- Electronic Literature, J Hodge, U of Chicago
- Electronic Literature, Zach Whalen, Mary Washington U
- Experimental Writing, Nick Montfort, MIT
in Communication Design, Keith Robertson, RMIT
in Poetry, Charles Bernstein, SUNY
- History and Future of the Book, Allison Muri, U of Saskatchewan
Literature, Vicente Forés, U of Valencia (Spain)
Digital Multimedia, Barbara Lattanzi, Smith College
- Interactive Multimedia, Judd Morrissey, Art Institute of Chicago
to Multimedia, Denis Sherknies, U of Montréal
- Kinetic Poetry, Manuel Portela, U of Coimbra, Portugal
- Lingue e Letterature Moderne, Renata Morresi, Universita Degli Studi Di Macerata
- Lit & Hypermedia, Shuen
Shing Lee, National Chung Hsing U (Taiwan)
and Representation, Cynthia Lawson, Parsons School of Design
- Media Theory for the 21st Century, Katherine Hayles, UCLA
& Contemporary Poetry, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
- New Media Poetry, Stephanie Strickland, Sarah Lawrence College
- Theory and Literature of Rhetoric, Ed Lamoureux, Bradley U
- Prose and its Malcontents, Charles Bernstein, SUNY
- Studies in Literature, Leonardo Flores, U of Puerto Rico
Conditions, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
Anthropology of Cyberspace, Brian Schwimmer, U of Manitoba
- Sound of Poetry, Poetry of Sound, C Bernstein,
U of Pennsylvania
- The Word Made Digital, Nick Montfort, MIT
Century Poetry, Charles Bernstein, U of Pennsylvania
and Image, Matthew Kirschenbaum, U of Maryland
- Writing Through Media, Gary Hink, U of Florida
- 2014: Taught a course on Mobile Web Design at Emily Carr.
- 2013: Taught a course on Mobile App Creation at Emily Carr.
- 2012: Taught a course at Emily Carr on mobile app creation.
- 2012: Taught the Web Essentials course to undergrads at Emily Carr.
- 2003-2005: Helped teach Digital Media at U of Victoria.
- 2002: Taught Director at The
Centre for Creative Communications in Toronto.
- 1990-92: Studied Computer Science and Mathematics at the U of Victoria.
- 1985: Trained to teach at Montessori schools.
- 1984: B.A. in English and Mathematics, U of Victoria.
- Machines: PC, Macs.
- Assorted Software:Sublime Text, DreamWeaver, Phonegap/Cordova, jQuery, jQuery Mobile, Eclipse, Xcode, Word, Visio, FrameMaker, Visio, Office, Open Office, Camtasia, Director, Audacity, Sound Forge, Acid, VB, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, ffmpeg
- 2015 - Present: Freelance mobile app creation.
- 2012 - 2014: Sessional Instructor, Emily Carr U of Art & Design
- April 2000 - Present: Artist-Programmer
I wrote Windows for Shockwave, sell
it online, and write grants to do art.
- October 2003 - Dec 2005: Artist-Programmer
Contract at the U of Victoria in Visual Arts Dept as Programmer.
- Jan 2000 - July 2000: Solutions Architect, Network Commerce,
Worked with clients to create specs for design of Web sites; with
Dev to ensure feasibility; with Biz Dev concerning pricing information;
with Design on site look. Projects ranged from $30,000 to $2,000,000
- Mar 97 - Jan 2000: Lead Technical Writer, Network Commerce,
- Docs on NT/SQL/ASP and UNIX/Oracle/Perl ecommerce technology.
- Wrote a white paper describing our technology to potential
- Help files, business proposals, code specs, templates, and
- Before 1997
- Freelanced as a Programmer and Technical Writer in Victoria
- Six-year literary radio show called FINE LINES and,
later, ?FRAME? at CFUV-FM heard each week on 15 stations.
- Wrote grant proposals for CFUV-FM (campus/community station).
- Tutored University and High school Math and English.
- Starved. Wrote. Starved. Wrote. Wrote. Ate.
- I host and organize The Group of X, a group of artists and scholars interested in computer art.